“Hey there! I tried to backup few files from system to my external hard drive. I connected and started to transfer data but was unsuccessful, I saw an error popup on screen suddenly. The error report was something like this “The disk in drive G: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?”. Upon receiving this message, I could not access my external hard drive memory itself. The files stacked up in drive are vital ones, I certainly need those data for future use. Can anybody suggest me a technique to fix this issue? Please help me out!”
Also there are other variations of error that are similar to the above case. Have a look on it:
“You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it. Do you want to format it now?”
“The Hard drive is not formatted; do you want to format it now?”
“There is an error, you have to format the drive. Do you want to format it now?”
Isn’t it embarrassing on noticing error popups while working with system? There are many users facing such kind of problem. On encountering such difficulty, no need to worry because you are on right page. Just go through this editorial and find best solution from it.
What makes disk show such errors?
- Device and the operating system may not be compatible with each other
- Presence of bad sectors on disk
- Improper ejection of external drive while transferring files
- Invasion of malicious software and virus
- If the disk is not mounted properly Using disk for long period of time
- Disk corruption making it turn RAW
Is there any quick fix approach to overcome this issue?
Yes, there are few ways to solve how to fix disk is not formatted error? Just check it out right now.
First Approach: Try on another computer
- Connect external HDD to another PC
- After connecting, right click on My Computer to check whether hard drive is recognized or not.
Second Approach: Using Check disk command
- Start => click on Run option
- Type “cmd” and hit on OK => go to Accessories => click on Command Prompt
- Type “chkdsk c:/f”(c represents drive letter) on command Window => click on Enter
- Errors will be fixed, restart the system if process cannot be run normally.
Consequent to above approaches, if problem still persists then it is suggested to go with next approach to secure your data and files from faulty hard drive.
Third Approach: Using Hard Drive Recovery
- Download the application on your Windows PC
- Connection is to be made with system in case of external hard drive
- Run the program once after installing it
- Select either “Partition Recovery” or “Formatted/Reformatted Recovery” based on the choice
- Choose the drive that needs recover
- Once scan is initiated, a list of retrievable files is displayed mark desired ones
- “Preview” restored files and finally save them in destination location
Things to be known about Hard Drive Recovery tool
Data restoration is much easier with this utility on encountering “disk not formatting” errors. This tool is equipped with advanced scanning technology that deep scans hard drive sectors for complete data recovery. Some of the supported hard drive types are IDE, SATA, PATA, ATA, external hard drives and many more. Application works well with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista, Server 2003 and Server 2008 versions of operating system.